The L*a*b* color system was developed by CIE (International Commission on Illumination) in 1976 in order to display the perceptional color characterization more properly. The L*a*b* color space is constructed on the basis of opponent colors theory and contains all the visible colors. One of the main features of the L*a*b* color model is its device independence, that is, the colors are defined independent from the kind of their creation and rendering technology.
SilverFast Ai Studio 8 offers the possibility to scan into L*a*b* color space. Because of the device independence of L*a*b*, such scans are particularly suitable for true color transmission to other devices, such as a printer.
- Open the SilverFast 8 Preferences, which you will find in the top menu bar.
- Select the 'CMS' tab for Color Management.
- Choose 'CIE-Lab' from the 'Working space -> Output' menu.
A Desitometer is a tool for measuring color density. With SilverFast Ai Studio 8 you can take tone measurements in Lab color space. Within this color model similar euclidean distances do approximately correspond to the same perceptual color differences.
- Open the expert settings in the Densitometer dialog.
- Choose 'LAB' from the 'Mode' menu.